User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 07:36:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News Box
*** NOTE ***
Forums were upgraded. You may need to set up a new password for your account.
If so, please click "I forgot my password" to set a new one. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Key Stats
1593 Posts in 251 Topics by 101516 Members
Latest Member: colbycarps
* Home Help Search Login Register
johnnybdesign.com  |  Agent Scarecrow  |  Agent Scarecrow 2 - Aggressive shopping  |  I don't know who will read this, but... « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I don't know who will read this, but...  (Read 3752 times)
Suda
Sr. Detective

I don't know who will read this, but...
« on: September 18, 2011, 02:31:56 AM »

Hi, I'm "Aaron Gingras". I wrote Agent Scarecrow 1 and 2.

I believe I was 16 at the time of writing the first Agent Scarecrow. Agent Scarecrow #2, I could've been 16 or 17. The "scripts" I turned in weren't really scripts, but Word documents I typed up on my dad's computer. I'd write all of the dialog, puzzle ideas, and a few easter eggs I had in mind. I'd then e-mail everything to Johnny, and the rest was all him. He'd add in his own ideas (such as the mini-games), and I'd see the finished work when the public did.

I remember the feeling of playing the first Agent Scarecrow. I was amazed, more so than anyone else who had probably played it! The only qualms I had with the game at the time were the voices, which I felt Johnny had miscast. The audio quality was definitely below par, and the art could of been more polished and proportioned. But to see the characters you write come to life...it's the reason I am where I am now.
Report to moderator   Logged
Suda
Sr. Detective

Re: I don't know who will read this, but...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:36:06 AM »

I'm almost 21, in college studying drama and psychology, and heavily involved in my local theatre. I still write games (mostly in the Interactive Drama genre), and now I even program them! But due to the lack of time and any art resources, I've never released a single one. And from the looks of my schedule this fall and winter, I doubt I'll ever push one out.

With so little time on my hands, I decided to compare the old work with the new, just to see how I've improved. This naturally lead me back to Agent Scarecrow, which I haven't played since it first launched. Just loading the game on Newgrounds was nostalgic, but my first reaction beyond that...?
Suda
Sr. Detective

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 02:38:08 AM »

s***!
This is awful!
I wrote this garbage?
I can't believe how bad this dialog is!
None of these characters mean anything to anyone!
No one cares for any of this!
Absolute utter s***.

Expecting the worst from the critics, I scrolled down to read the reviews, and wow - people were pining for #3! A quick Google search revealed even more...

Five years after I first contacted JohnnyB, and four years after the release of Agent Scarecrow, I come to find out that people are still discovering playing these things!
Suda
Sr. Detective

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 02:39:40 AM »

Five years after I first contacted JohnnyB, and four years after the release of Agent Scarecrow, I come to find out that people are still discovering playing these things!

There is a video walkthrough of both on YouTube. Some kid even did a Let's Play! And the reviews for #2 actually went up since it was first released. Agent Scarecrow has spread from Newgrounds, with several sites unofficially hosting the game on their own servers.

Now I really wish #3 came out. I believe I had about ten or so pages written for it (in Word), and Johnny received them around the time he was working on his other games. I can't recall if any work was done on it or not, but I do remember doing some rewrites. If he is still around, I hope he sees this, and maybe we could rewrite the whole thing. I haven't spoken to him in, oh, four years? But I'm sure he feels that we could do better.
Suda
Sr. Detective

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 02:40:54 AM »

And if he just doesn't have the time to program or animate anymore, maybe someone else could pick up where he left off? If he's alright with it, I'd be willing to write the entire series all over again. Not changing the basic plot, but new dialog. And judging by a lot of the reviews, maybe we should pull out some of those mini-games?

Regardless if #3 and beyond are ever finished, I'd like to thank Johnny B, wherever he is. His allowing me to write for two simple flash games further fed my hunger to some day write professionally in the gaming field.

And thank you to everyone for playing and enjoying the game. I'd bet money that Johnny occasionally goes back to these games for encouragement when he is down. I know I will from now on.
Suda
Sr. Detective

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 05:14:08 AM »

And here is some bonus stuff. I'm writing all of this before a meeting, so it may be a little rushed. Nothing spoilerific. I don't want to ruin anything Johnny had plan (which was quite genius);

-The third episode would've taken place at the night club/costume party, and would have extended into the back of the club at some point.
-There would have been a side story, released in the form of another flash game.
-I wrote a puzzle for the side game, involving the construction and cleaning of a sniper rifle.
-Johnny had a brilliant idea to detail more of Mike's friend's story.
-When I first started working with Johnny, I wrote up an immediate plot idea just based on the title of Agent Scarecrow. Johnny shot it down, but only because he already had an elaborate story plotted out. I'm grateful for this, because I think having an "average guy" as the lead was a good choice.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: